Injury lawyers

Which Documents Must Be Filed in Car Accident Injury Cases

Car Accident Injury

When you bring forward a personal injury claim for a car accident, there are several things that need to happen, after you agree to proceed with your claim. Here’s everything you need to know about the documents that need filing when making a claim for car accidents:

Consent Forms

Firstly, you must sign a ‘consent form’ for your solicitor, to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998, which will give your solicitor access to all relevant medical files. It is likely that this form will be sent out to you by post, although it can be signed in person.

You will also need to sign a separate consent form, again to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998, which gives your solicitor permission to act and communicate on your behalf throughout the claims process. This is an essential document, since an insurance company will not communicate with anybody who is not the claimant, or anybody who does not have permission from the claimant to act on their behalf.

Car Accident Injury

Evidence Case Files

With the consent forms described above, your solicitor will be able to request evidence, such as CCTV footage and emergency service reports, on your behalf. Each piece of evidence collected will be given its own case file. All relevant evidence must be included as part of a claim, under UK law. Your solicitor will take time to review each piece of evidence, and they will order it by importance, to create a single claim file for other side.

Medical Reports

It is necessary for you to attend a medical examination as part of the claims process, no matter the types of injury you have sustained. The medical examination will be performed by an expert in your injuries, 2-3 weeks into the claims process. The goal of this examination is to create a current and up to date medical report detailing the extent of your injuries, your prognosis for the future and an estimated recovery period. This medical report will be used to determine a fair and proportionate settlement demand.

Financial Evidence

In addition to making a claim for your injuries, you can also make a claim for any related financial losses you have sustained because of your injuries or accident. So, for example, if you have lost three months’ wages, then you can claim these back. However, to do so, you must provide evidence of financial loss. This evidence might include wage slips and a note from your employer. You can also claim back any related out of pocket expenses, such as public transport costs. Evidence for such a claim might include bus tickets, taxi receipts or car hire invoices. You should provide these to your solicitor as soon as possible, so that the total financial losses you have sustained can be factored into your settlement demand.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top