Family lawyers and child custody lawyer are legal advocates who provide legal services and representation for individuals facing certain family issues. Basically, they deal with cases which involve the various facets of the family dynamic, from marriage, adoption, child custody, divorce, annulment, separation, and guardianship. For the most part, family law attorneys are hired by soon-to-be-married couples deciding to undergo prenuptial agreements, by married couples consider to adopting children, or by married couples agree to separate or end their marriage through divorce.
Like any other attorneys specializing in other legal areas, family lawyers work for the best interests for their clients. Clients, who are dealing with stress and emotions from the very personal issues related to their families, would want to hire legal counsels who have the reputation and experience to provide them with the best legal representation possible either through out-of-court settlements or through court trials or hearings. However, not all prospective clients know what to expect when seeking legal representation from attorneys, especially if it is their first time to do so.
If you are one of the many people who might find hiring a child custody lawyer the best course of action to help you with your legal issues, you may not have an idea of what to expect with the flow of your case or with how your situation might end up. You might not even know how to begin your search for a lawyer. As such, here is a list detailing the steps on what you need to do in finding a reputable family law attorney:
- Be aware which county you file your case. Whether it is a prenuptial agreement or a divorce, you must consider the county in which your case will be filed. Typically, family law issues are settled or heard in court on the county where all the parties involved live or on a county where the other party lives.
- Once you have already determined where to file your case, you can begin searching for the best family law attorney for you. Obviously, you need to consider retaining the services of a lawyer who practices family law in the state where you live in. It would be much better if the legal counsel works for clients in your county.
- You can start off by collecting the names and contact information of every lawyer or law firm in the county or state where you live. You may find some in the yellow pages in your local phonebook, but nowadays, given that many people have access to the Web, you can instead run a search using Google or any other search engine by typing a search query like “family lawyer in (name of county). Search results would give you a list of websites of family law firms in your area. Alternatively, you may use the search engine to go to an online lawyer directory. There, you can narrow down your search for the list of attorneys or law firms that specialize in family law in your county or state.
- Call every lawyer or law firm in your list and schedule a consultation. For the most part, family law firms offer free initial consultations, while others charge. Either way, you need to ask when you make an appointment via phone.
- Before going to every law office for your initial consultations, you need to ensure that you have all the necessary documents to take with you. If necessary, you may take down a list of questions you need to ask the lawyer.
There are many lawyers in Parramatta but not all of them are created equal. Some of these lawyers have better experience, skills, and client satisfaction rating than others. Hence, if you are claiming for a family case, it is best that you only hire a child custody lawyer who you can trust because the resolution of your case will depend on his or her services.